Monday, January 09, 2006

It Begins (again)

Well, as I predicted, I didn't get that job with the company where the interviewer pulled the classic wait-a-long-time-to-get-back-to-me-so-I-have-the-chance-to-get-another-job-or-forget-about-this-one technique. Little did she know that I have so few options that I would not get another job or forget about that one in 3 weeks. I called there the day after she was supposed to get back to me, only to get the temp on the phone, who said she was away and she would call me back the next day. When that didn't happen, I called again during regular business hours and this time nobody picked up. Good times. Predictably, she emailed me later and said that she had gone with another person. No shit. She did say that I was her second choice, but I'm not sure I believe her. So its back to the drawing board. Except that I don't have a drawing board.

I needed to come up with a new plan. And fast. I randomly found some company on the internets that was having a career fair on Saturday and seeing as I had no plans other than watching the Redskins game at 4, I decided that I could take a shot at this job.

The fair was held at a hotel and much to my disappointment, unlike any other fair I've been to, did not have any carneys, funnel cake, or even a freak show. I had to go pretty early because I needed to stop at Kinko's to print out the application because my printer decided it doesn't want to acknowledge that it has paper in the tray. PC Load Letter? What the fuck does that mean?!?! So I'm there extra early and they tell me to go in this conference room to watch a presentation.

The conference room had about 80 chairs set up in front of a drop down screen that was connected to a laptop. There were probably about 5 people in the audience and much like school, nobody was sitting in the front. The woman at the front of the room was talking about the company while displaying a power point presentation. she kept talking about how much you could make and how the company promotes from within, and all the benefits of working there. I was quite taken aback, as I've only worked at places that tried to screw the empoyees. It was all very J.T. Marlinesque, except she never showed us the keys to her Ferrari. After she finished the presentation, some of the people were taken for their interviews. Due to the fact that I was so early, I got to sit there and see the presentation again later.

After about 45 minutes, someone finally came in to tell me it was time for my interview. I went upstairs and had an interview with 3 people from 2 different parts of the company. Finally, some respect for my overqualifications! It seemed like the company is looking to rapidly expand and judging from the looks of most of the people who I saw downstairs, I have to at least have a better than average shot at this one. I think the interview went decently, but who knows. I left and went to watch the Skins kick some Tampan ass.

Since they actually gave me business cards at the interview, I was going to email a thank you note to the interviewers the next day because thats what all the cool kids are doing these days. But my bloody fight to the death with god continues. In a fitting turn of events, my internets connection mysteriously stopped working for about a day and a half when I wanted to do this. I had to call the cable people and after about 30 minutes of tinkering with all the connections, it still wouldn't work. I had to schedule for a service guy to come here and see what was wrong. You may think I would have been so pissed that I would have a mild stroke over the matter, but I have come to expect such things. I laughed it off and tried to log on every once in a while. Luckily, it started working again late last night and I was able to conduct my business.

So wish me luck.