Monday, February 06, 2006

The Year of the Catheter is over

Yes, gang, its true. Its true. Last year at this time, I was coming off a nice second quarter win in my Superbowl boxes pool, which officially began a self-appointed year of good luck for Catheter Man. This year, I went into the Superbowl hoping that the lucky streak would continue, but fearing its swift demise. What happened makes me believe that I might be back to my heretofore unlucky ways this year.

This year, I got 10 boxes because they were only one dollar and I wanted to have a healthy slew of numbers to hope for. I designated one of my boxes the "lucky" one and named it Popozao in honor of Kevin Federline's instant classic. When we pulled the numbers, that one wasn't very lucky, but I did end up with some good ones. One of the best was 7-0 Seahawks.

Well, if you watched the game, you know what happened. As the first quarter wound down, Matt Hasselbeck threw a perfect touchdown pass to Darrell Jackson, only to have it called back by a questionable offensive pass interference call. Away went the seven point score, and with it, the potential two year run for Catheter Man.

The rest of the game didn't really yield any chances for me. The second quarter ended up being pretty crappy for both the Mike Holmgren school of clock management and my numbers. However, girlfriend did win this quarter. So it could be the Year of the Girlfriend. The third and fourth quarters were won by the people who (seemingly, at least) win every year: The J Man and Kid Ike. They are like the Vijay Singh and Tiger Woods of box pools.

The rest of the Superbowl was pretty forgettable. The teams played worse than our rec league team after one of our "all night drinking parties." The commercials were weak (thanks FCC). And the halftime "entertainment" was adequate at best. The funniest thing was that supposedly the Rolling Stones caused a minor controversy (I didn't really watch them) with two lyrics that the censors bleeped out. Next year I think the network might dig up Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, and the Big Bopper so they can have a halftime show that is both 30 years past relevance and guaranteed not to have anything controversial happen.

So until proven otherwise, I will assume that The Year of the Catheter has not been renewed for a second season. This is pretty troubling because I not only still have to find a permanent job, I also have at least one (possibly two) trips to Vegas coming up. I'm going to need all the luck I can get for both of those scenarios. Maybe I should start eating Lucky Charms.