Monday, March 13, 2006

The first job offer I've had in months

There was something in the air today in DC. Maybe the fact that it was about 80 degrees brought a little pep to everyone's morning. I have no idea. Regardless, as I was walking from the Metro to work this morning, I passed two workers who were presumably installing a Sub Zero refrigerator in someone's newly-remodeled kitchen. The guys looked like your typical contractor types and since one of them had some sort of tape stuck to his hand, which he was waving about, I naturally looked their way as I was walking. That lead to this exchange:

scraggly-looking contractor guy: "Hey, you want to help us?"
Me: "How much do you pay?"
Contractor: "The minimum."
Me: "No thanks."
Contractor: "You should ditch college and come work with us."(I guess I still look young enough to go to college)
Me: "That's ok." (by this point, I am a good 25 feet past them)
Contractor: "Hey!"
Me: Walking, looking ahead
Contractor: "Hey!"
Me: Turning around
Contractor: "This is what the ladies want!" (He then proceeded to pull up his dusty flannel shirt to reveal his redneck/middle-aged guy "six pack" along with various faded blue-green tattoos).
Me: Chuckling, yet briskly walking further away before he shows me anything else.


All I can say about this incident is, that contractor knows talent when he sees it. I would have hauled the shit out of that refrigerator.