Thursday, May 05, 2005

Job search between exams

I took my tax exam last night and even though the premise behind all of the questions was the Washington Nationals, it did not make the exam any more enjoyable. In fact, I think it distracted me more than anything. I'm pretty sure I'll pass, mostly because I was wearing my lucky drawers and they haven't let me down yet. To clarify, these lucky drawers are lucky test taking drawers, not lucky sexual drawers (or even lucky job-getting drawers), of which I have none.

I sent out a few more feelers for jobs today (aka: unsolicited emails and resumes to companies). I'm not expecting much in return. I think of all the places I have applied (77), maybe 10 have actually emailed me back (and 8 of those have been to say no). I'm still trying to live the dream and go to a sports agency (preferably NFL), so I'm scraping the bottom of the barrell. I applied to one place that doesn't even have any clients yet. I'm sure they could use my skills in whatever it is they do without any clients.

This brings me to the old story about idiots sending shoes to potential employers (trying to "get their foot in the door."). Eveyone in every HR department across the country seems to say this is the dumbest, corniest thing they have ever heard of. Well, I have a great idea that would really impress people. I'd send my own severed foot in an igloo cooler and actually get my foot in the door. Then they would have to hire me. Of course, it is risky because you can only pull it off twice, but I guess you could start sending other severed body parts if the first two didn't work out. But really, what employer is not going to at least call you back after you send them a severed foot? And who doesn't love amputees?

Still, there are certain standards I have for jobs. I'm willing to move, but I'm not going to move to Texas, Utah, Ohio, or Illinois. If I'm going to sever my foot, it better at least be sunny where I'm going because I can't imagine what kind of smells eminate from a rained-on wheelchair (or prosthetic foot for that matter). I know Texas is probably sunny most of the time, but I don't consider it to be part of the US. If I'm going to move out of the country, its not going to be to Texas. I'll tell you that much right now.

**********************************************************************

I got my Sports Law grade back already. The outcome: A-. Why the minus? I don't know either. Every semester at least 2 professors will dock me half a grade (A to A- or B+ to B, for example) for no apparent reason. It must be something about the aura I give off (the unemployable aura). I have no idea why this happens, but it always does. I'm fully expecting a B in Real Estate Planning even though my group will probably get an A- or B+. How do I know this? I rocked my parts of the paper and definitely brought in points that none of the other groups thought of. Therefore, since I think I did well, I'll get screwed and my 2 professor grade docking theory will hold up.

I worked out a formula to give myself .3 grade points in 2 classes per semester and that comes out to a .24 total raise in my GPA (I did this on my phone calculator, so don't expect it to be accurate at all). While that might not boost me up to Magna Cum Laude (he he... cum), it would make my GPA real respectible-like. Good thing I don't give a shite, so the joke's on you professors! All I'm trying to do at this point is pass and get the fuck out of here.