Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I am officially unemployable

Today I decided that enough was enough. It was time to drop the search for my dream job (or any job I am remotely interested in or qualified for) and waive the white flag. I called a staffing agency (aka: headhunter) to try and help me get a job. I don't have many requirements, but here's what I want: 1) full time (with benefits), 2) normal working hours (in other words not the night shift), 3) salary, 4) my own desk, computer, and phone line, 5) metro-accessible. Thats it. I don't care what I am doing or who I am working for or even how much I make. I just want a job. You would think that all of those criteria would be pretty standard (except for the metro-accessible part), but I have learned from experience that companies will try and fuck you out of those things. With this in mind, I thought that I could send my overqualifications to a headhunter and be able to get some sort of job pretty quickly.

I sent my resume to this place on Friday and called them this morning to check and see if I could come in and talk to someone about placing me somewhere. The voice on the other end of the phone said that someone would be reviewing my resume and then they would call me if they wanted. As of now, I have still not been contacted and I can only assume that if they do not contact you almost immediately, your shit has probably been filed in the garbage. So there it is. I was shot down by a headhunter. I have been shot down by 2 temp agencies in my day also. Par for the course.

The way things are going, I am going to have to apply to be a waiter at an Irish pub near my apartment, but I really don't have the heart to get shot down there right now.