Tuesday, June 14, 2005

On Murmurs and Hummers

Today was quite the eventful day. It began when my dad picked me up to go to the dentist. See, since I don't have a car and I have always gone to the same dentist (who was a client of my dad's) whose office is in Beltsville, MD, I haven't been since I moved back to DC. Beltsville is about a 25 minute drive from DC and there's no way I could get there without a car. Despite their calling me several times during my law school career, I never made the effort to go out there because I was already stressed out enough. But I digress.

So we get to the dentist and I have to fill out one of those medical information forms. Some of the questions were innocuous, like if I was allergic to anything (unlike most Jews, I am not allergic to anything, I am not balding, and I don't wear glasses) and some of the questions I couldn't believe (like if I had ever caught an STD [which I have not {to my knowledge }]). Anyway, I only answered yes to three: did I have a heart murmur, did I use more than 2 pillows to sleep, and had I lost more than 10 lbs in the past year.

Unfortunately, they said that since I said yes to the heart murmur question (I'm pretty sure some doctor said I had one when I was like 12 and I have been going to this dentist forever), I could not get my teeth cleaned today because I was supposed to take antibiotics before going to the dentist. Obviously, this was annoying because it means that I'm going to have to go back next week and they probably will have the same magazines that I already read today while my dad was getting his teeth cleaned.

After I came home and took the dog out, I met my girlfriend and her coworkers at a restaurant near the MCI Center so that I could help them go get 2 Hummers for their event tomorrow. They are following a bunch of chefs on their motorcycles for a charity event and the media get to go in the Hummers. So we went out to a Cadillac/Hummer dealership in VA to get them. I got to drive a pewter-colored H2 in rush hour traffic. Since I have not consistently driven for about 5 years (save for driving my girlfriend's Civic occasionally), I was not exactly prepared to drive this monstrosity. But the hardest part was un-parallel parking it at the dealership. After that, I turned on WHFS (Ninety-Five, half a dime!) and made like I was Bam Margera. The best part about the H2 is not asking if you can change lanes. You just do it and the other drivers have to get the fuck out of the way.

We then took Takoma to the vet for her first check up. Aside from a slight ear infection, everything else checked out fine and we got her flea and tick preventative so she can go on our little Rock Creek Park walks without worrying. The strangest thing about the vet was that the girl who rang us up at the register recognized my last name. She asked if I was related to [my aunt's name]. I said yes and she said that she knew my cousin. You remember, the crazy one who is 6'7". I asked how she knew him and she said that she met him at a club in 1999, but that she had not talked to him in about 2 months (since he has a lot of problems). I said I haven't seen him in longer than that (about a year), but I knew what she was talking about. Then we got out of there and went over to Whole Foods for some samples.

I can honestly say this day clearly refutes my theory that I have nothing to write about if I don't have a job. If only I got to drive a Hummer all the time.