Thursday, April 07, 2005

What is the deal with Tivo?

Many people sing the praises of Tivo because of its ability to record shows digitally while you are not home (or even when you are home). Granted, I have been able to catch many missed prime-time shows due to my rediculous law school schedule that has me going to class Monday through Thursday from 8-10 pm, but I am heartily dissatisfied with the company on a whole.

Tivo has this option called "Season Pass," where it is supposed to record the same show every week (or at least whenever there is a new one on). It started out all fine and dandy, but recently Tivo has not been recording what I set it up for or alternatively, whatever it wants.

Case in point: I have a season pass for South Park. Last night, there was a new one on. Since my class ended at 9:20, I was forced to wait for the law school bus to the Metro until 9:45 (they come at :15 and :45 past the hour). This always makes me livid because most classes end at either :20 or :50 past the hour and they could have the bus show up at :30 and :00 past the hour, but they don't because they are assfaces. Anyway, I get to the Metro probably around 10.

When I get down to the track there is a 10 minute wait for the next train going in my direction. Luckily, I had the Washington Post Express with me and read every word of it and completed the crossword to pass the time. Finally the train comes and takes about another 3 or 4 minutes to get to my stop. Then it is a 5 minute trek up the world's longest escalator and another few minutes to walk to my apartment. Basically, I didn't get home until about 10:30, right in time to miss South Park.

Not to worry, Tivo recorded it, right? Well, I go to the Now Playing list and there it is: South Park. When I press play, not only am I dismayed to find out that South Park did was not there, but in its stead was an infomercial with fat people and Jeff Probst from Survivor (at least I think it was him because I was fast forwarding through the whole thing in disbelief). So what gives? Why is Tivo all messed up? If anyone has any tips, feel free to comment.

Luckily, South Park re-airs at 12 for the West coast, so I caught that one. Its going to be a sad day when these cable channels have enough programming to stop re-airing the same shows for the west coast later in the night. Lets all pray that it never happens.